For many of us, our image is everything. When we catch sight of someone on the street wearing a leather jacket or coat, it conveys a message that this person has a strong sense of who they are and where they are going in life. Leather garments have always been considered luxury items. Not only are they dear in cost, but also require professional care to maintain their shape and to extend their wearable life. At Winzer Cleaners, our leather garment experts take exceptional care in providing our leather dry cleaning services. When you bring your leathers to our premises or arrange to have your leather garments picked up, here’s what you can expect:
- Careful Assessment: Our leather dry cleaners will first determine what type of leather the garment is made from, such as lamb, cow, pig, snake, or exotic animal skin, as well as the finish. It is smooth, or suede? Next, they will examine each garment to assess if any repairs are necessary prior to cleaning. If any repairs are required, such as a new zipper, mending the lining, sewing a button, or removing a stain, those considerations are noted.
- Color Fastness: Sometimes an attempt has previously been made to remove an old stain. The usual result is a loss of color in that area. If such is the case, or if the leather requires any restoration, this is also completed before the leather dry cleaning service is performed.
- Inspect the Condition: Often our leather dry cleaners are presented with a well-loved family heirloom leather jacket or coat. Again, a careful assessment is made and owners are to understand what can be accomplished to both clean and restore their treasured garments. If the hide is cracked from age, or cuffs and collar edges are worn, there are options to be discussed. Old, set-in stains, rips, tears, or scarred hides present different issues. Again, we are completely transparent about what can and cannot be accomplished. Our goal is our client’s complete satisfaction, and we will work hard to meet their expectations.
Once our leather dry cleaning professionals have worked their magic, and your trophy piece has returned to your closet, be sure to follow these tips to maintain your leather’s appearance:
- Always use a padded hanger. Using a metal or wooden hanger will stretch the skin and leave a bump that is not only unsightly but also difficult to remove.
- Jackets may require doubling up the number of hangers used to support your garment. Coats, especially shearling, are exceptionally heavy and may require three or four padded hangers to support their weight.
- Do not store in a plastic bag or plastic zippered covering. Hides are skin, just like ours. Even processed and tanned leathers still need to ‘breathe’ to remain supple and, for suedes, to maintain their velvety ‘hand’.
- If caught in the rain, do not, repeat, do not allow the garment to dry near a heat source. Use a soft towel to wick away any surface moisture, then hang to dry away from heat and moisture. Then consult with Winzer’s leather dry cleaners as to your best restoration options.
We have specialized in leather cleaning for over 40 years, and have the expertise, state-of-the-art equipment, and professional training necessary to provide our clients with the finest, and safest leather cleaning and restoration services anywhere.